Here’s a quick list of easy to implement SEO tips to boost your website rankings. Some of these tips are “one and done,” that is, you only have to do them once. Other SEO best practices require some simple understanding, but we also share one of the best (and free) SEO plugins for your website to keep your SEO on target.
This post corresponds to our latest podcast episode of “Russ and Randy” – a podcast on Healthcare and Medical Internet Marketing. We hope you like “SEO Best Practices | Our Best “Top 10″ SEO Tips.”
You can find us on iTunes.
Search engine optimization (SEO) has different components. Optimization is broken down into “On Page” and “Off Page” elements. On-page SEO refers to those elements which improve your rankings; usually limited to components of your website or an individual web page on your site.
These are some of our best practices to improve your on-page SEO.
SEO Best Practice Tips
Russ and I comment on about 10 different aspects of optimizing your site and here is a list of those items which may help you improve your rankings. As you read down the list, any “tag” is code for the search engines and is generally NOT seen by humans.
- Title Tag – this is not the title or name of your website. This is a 72 character message to the search engines about the services you provide. The Title Tag is not visible to humans.
- Keywords – this is sometimes confusing, but think of keywords as subjects. What subjects would you like to rank for? What keywords will someone “Google” to find you? Use of keywords is essential in various parts of the website, such as: Title Tag, Meta Description, etc.
- Meta Description – this is a short summary of the contents of the web page found on a search engine results page (SERP) and is underneath the URL of the page. Use of keywords in the meta description will be in bold, drawing attention to the reader.
- H2 Tags – use keywords here as they are more heavily weighted (carry more importance) compared to normal text).
- Alt Tags – limited to images only. Alt tags are expected by the search engines and are the only place to add “text” to images.
- YOAST SEO Plugin – this is a free plugin to walk you through optimizing each web page. It will keep you organized and teaches you how to optimize a web page all by yourself.
- Mobile Responsive and download speed are two elements aimed to improve the user experience – an important optimization factor.
- URL length – use short URL’s and include keywords whenever possible.
- GZip Compression has become a standard to reduce file size transfer by compressing file size. Search “GZip Compression Test” to test your site for free.
- Engage Your Readers – are your articles attractive and inviting to read?
See you next week!
Find “Russ and Randy” on iTunes!
If you have questions or concerns, please leave a comment here.
Please find us on iTunes and subscribe to either the podcast or here to receive our latest episodes. Thanks for listening. See you next week!
All the best!